Wednesday, November 24, 2010

How to Have a Nearly Stress-free Thanksgiving

 

I have control issues. Yes, I know…a character flaw. For as long as I can remember, I have cooked the entire Thanksgiving meal….except the TURKEY. The turkey is man’s job. He smokes it.

For several years, Thanksgiving was a VERY stressful day for me. But I finally got SMART and started do what I could a day or two (or more) before Thanksgiving.

Our menu is always the same:

  • Smoked Turkey
  • Cornbread Dressing
  • Mashed Potatoes w/ Giblet Gravy
  • Sweet Potato Soufflé
  • Green Beans w/ Shallots and Bacon
  • Cranberry Sauce
  • Rolls…well USUALLY.
  • Pumpkin Pie w/ Whipped Cream

 

So a couple of weeks ago, I made pumpkin pies and froze one for Thanksgiving.

010011012017018020

Apparently I didn’t take a picture of the finished product…but I promise, there is one in the fridge ready for tomorrow!

 

Today I…

…hard-boiled eggs for deviled eggs.

…assembled my Cornbread Dressing.

Blog Stuff 003Blog Stuff 004Blog Stuff 005Blog Stuff 006Blog Stuff 010Blog Stuff 011Blog Stuff 012Blog Stuff 013Note that I put oven temp and cooking time on the foil…so I don’t have to look at the recipe when it is time to bake.

…prepared my Sweet Potato Soufflé.

Blog Stuff 014Blog Stuff 015

…sliced the shallots for the green beans.

…and perhaps most importantly, got the mess from making those things out of the way.

I usually would have made rolls also either today or yesterday…but unfortunately I’m still playing “catch-up” after being sick last week….And honestly, no one will miss the bread.

In a few minutes, I’m going to make Cranberry Sauce, and I may go ahead and peel and cut the potatoes for mashed potatoes. I just have to put them in a pot,cover them with water and put them in the fridge; and they will be ready for me tomorrow.

Now with little to do tomorrow, I can REALLY enjoy my Thanksgiving with my family!

Have a blessed Thanksgiving!

Sammi

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...