Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Green Beans with Shallots and Bacon

This is my “recipe” for the green beans…. This is SO MUCH BETTER than green bean casserole!
Vary the ingredient amounts according to how many you will be serving.

Green Beans with Shallots and Bacon

· Green beans, preferably Haricots verts, lightly steamed. You want them to be tender-crisp. You can use fresh or frozen.
· 2 – 8 slices of bacon, preferable apple-smoked, cut into pieces
· 1 – 2 shallots, sliced as thinly as you dare
· Panko
· Sea salt
In a pan large enough for your green beans, cook the bacon until crispy. Leaving the bacon grease in the pan, remove the bacon to drain on a paper towel. Add the shallots to the pan and cook, stirring often. If I want the shallots to be soft and caramelized, then I will turn down the heat at this point and let them cook slowly. If I want them a little crunchy, I will cook them on a slightly higher heat……it is according to how the mood strikes me. As a general rule, I like them more caramelized. Once the shallot is ready add the green beans and cook over medium heat until beans are just heated through. Return the bacon to the pan and add some Panko and continue cooking, stirring often, until the Panko has soaked up the remaining bacon grease and are golden brown. I sometimes add butter, if there isn’t enough bacon grease to brown the Panko. Sprinkle with sea salt, give them one last toss and serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...